As we head into that last month before the craziness of fourth quarter, we thought it would be fun to share some tips to Stay Sane in September. Last week we talked about beating office fatigue and taking breaks. This week we are focused on lightening up and living a little. You know, having fun? That think some people only do when they are not at work?
Multiple Choice Quiz
Which of the following is an activity I have NOT done with my staff?
- Raced through a mud-filled obstacle course, requiring rope climbing and crawling under wires
- Played a live escape game, where each team searched for clues to unlock the doors from an insane asylum/military bunker
- Held a competition where each team had to construct a robot using only items from the dollar store
- Forced my staff to perform a choreographed cheer about SoapBox and perform it in front of a crowd outside the gates of Universal Studios
Answer: C, Well not yet anyway. The robot-building contest goes down next month.
Which of the following items would someone NOT find in the SoapBox office?
- A statue of a rooster playing the trumpet the purchased off the streets of New Orleans and shipped in a box the size of a washing machine back to the office
- A larger-than-life-sized cardboard cutout of David Hasselhoff sitting on a throne left over from a themed party at my house
- A miniature replica of a Truffula tree (y’know the one, from Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax)
- A basket full of SoapBox-branded bubble-blowing bottles. (Try saying that five times fast.)
Answer: This was a trick question; you can find all of this stuff in our office. Ha!
So why do we do these seemingly-un-work-related things? And why is our office filled with weird stuff that has nothing to do with Market Research? Well, 1.) because I am a little nuts and 2.) because it makes us feel good. It’s fun. We want to be different. Being different doesn’t just boost creativity and help us see things in new ways, but from an outside viewpoint, it also allows our culture and brand personality to differentiate ourselves from our competition.
Market Research can be a little stiff and traditional. Dare I say it is not the most exciting industry on the planet (shocking, I know). The SoapBox company culture is built on the premise of shaking things up, and offering something genuine and fresh; hence our tagline, Wanna Get Fresh?.
The most exciting thing to me about being startup leader, is molding and shaping a company culture, and creating the type of company I’ve always wanted to work for. Who wouldn’t want to work for a mud running, Hoff loving, 5’3” maniac?